Sunday, February 10, 2013

Dr. Mardy and Charlie Brown

    Although I have long been a fan of Charlie Brown and all the other characters in the Peanuts comic strip it is only through the latest newsletter from Dr. Mardy Grothe that I am reminded of Peanuts creator Charles M. Schulz’s passing 13 years ago come February 12.

    Charles Schulz’s interest in Ethics and Theology was evident through the words spoken by his characters and he has given us many memorable quotes some of which became popular on greeting cards. If a card sending occasion arose, I’d look first through the Charlie Brown selections before making my choice often finding that Charlie or Peanuts or Linus or Lucy had spoken words appropriate to the circumstance.

    A simple internet search will yield many sites which offer huge collections of Schulz quotes, Brainyquote.com and Thinkexist.com among them. Dr. Mardy’s newsletter also includes some of his favorites such as:

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."

"There is no greater burden than great potential."

"In the Book of Life, The answers aren't in the back."

"It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black."

"It's either the flu or love . . . the symptoms are the same."

"There's a difference between a philosophy and a bumper sticker."

"Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use."

"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

This one from Thinkexist.com:

“I think we can rule out 'mixed brain dominance' as a cause of your poor performance at school, Charlie Brown. Have you ruled out stupidity?"

And not to forget that world famous beagle, Snoopy, WW I flying ace, in his frequent quixotic pursuits of the Red Baron.

    “Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement.”

    About Dr. Mardy Grothe:

    He is a psychologist originally trained as an individual therapist and marriage counselor and he has a “longstanding interest in words, language, and quotations. As some people collect coins or stamps or butterflies, he is a passionate quotation collector, with well over 100,000 quotations in his personal collection. In the coming years, he looks forward to producing more books in this area.” (from the biography page of his website drmardy.com)

Six of his books in the “Word and Language Arena” are:

Never Let a Fool Kiss You or a Kiss Fool You:
Chiasmus and a World of Quotations That Mean What They Say and Say What They Mean
(Viking, 1999)

Oxymoronica:
Paradoxical Wit & Wisdom From History's Greatest Wordsmiths
(HarperCollins, 2004)

Viva la Repartee:
Clever Comebacks & Witty Retorts From History's Great Wits & Wordsmiths
(HarperCollins, 2005)

I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like:
A Comprehensive Compilation of History's Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes
(HarperCollins, 2008)

Ifferisms:
An Anthology of Aphorisms that Begin With the Word "If"
(HarperCollins, 2009)

Neverisms:
A Quotation Lover's Guide to Things You Should Never Do, Never Say, or Never Forget
(HarperCollins, 2011)

    If you enjoy words and the many ways they are used beyond simple communication, you might find a weekly eNewsletter from Dr. Mardy a refreshing break from your routine. I know I do.

#  #  #

No comments:

Post a Comment